▼

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Headboard Bench



A headboard from a friend.  Her request?  To make a bench.  First thing:  do I use 1X3's or 2X4's?  One is stronger but will be heavier.  The other weaker but lighter.  In the end I chose 1X3's.



Exterior screws because it will be going to an exterior location.






Above I'm trying out different stains.  Trying to find the one that matches.  Painted these boards as they would be covered later.  Turns out Pecan was the correct answer.







The slow closing of the lid is very satisfying.




It took A LOT of coats to get the stain on the box-part to come close to matching the headboard color.  I think I ended up with 5 or 6 coats of stain on the box part. 




Casters on the bottom feet required some bolstering/fortification of the existing legs so that the screws through the feet of the casters would have something to screw into.  The two legs of the headboard were actually hollow.


Now all that was left was to Spar Polyurethane it.  A lot.


______________________________________________________________________________




  



                                                BEFORE                                        AFTER

 

No comments:

Post a Comment