From this...............................................................to this!
Sure the white foam padding isn't fully covered. I'll make another trip to Hobby Lobby at some point and get a bit more vinyl to finish the job. Who cares for now. It fits the bill: my head is on cushion so it's really a cosmetic issue. I'll get it fixed. After the "after" photo was taken, I attached casters to the head-feet so it's easy to move around.
___________________________________________________________________________________
This part was fun using the router. Later on I had to go back and widen these notches. The metal pipe I got was 1/2" but that was ID instead of OD so these had to be widened to accommodate the bar. Routers are so much fun but make so much dust. And I don't have those fancy dust-collectors like a lot of serious wood-workers do.
___________________________________________________________________________________
This was a tricky part. Had to get this board to be adjustable while also being able to lie (lay?) flat. It's not as straightforward as you would think. Okay......for all you brainiacs out there.....maybe it is straightforward to you. But it wasn't to me; I had to see it as I was working on it to figure it out. Lots of improvising on this. Had to use some pretty big wood bits to be able to countersink the bolts I was using. Had to cut and sand off a lot of wood around the bolts holding the arms on. Didn't have any 2X2's on hand so had to rip some other boards to approximate those.
___________________________________________________________________________________
It took a while to get all these holes lined up. There are actually four holes I'm working with, here. My bit wouldn't reach through the width of the main board so I had to do my best to be level on both sides and meet in the middle. Then since it wasn't smooth all the way through, had to do some wallering out to get the bolt to fit. Again, being pretty is not my goal. Functionality is.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Finally could fit this threaded bolt in. This is the piece that holds the adjustable back onto the base. I found a locking washer from my stash and fixed this part right up.
___________________________________________________________________________________
I don't remember what I was doing here but the back was up for some reason. Maybe to get it out of the way while I widened the grooves for the metal 1/2" ID pipe. You can see there are four grooves. I decided I would never use the groove closest to the pivot point...the groove that would have the back straight up....so I didn't router that one wider. But I did the other three.
___________________________________________________________________________________
This is a weird angle. But I am widening these grooves so that they will accept the 1/2"ID metal pipe.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Here it is, in action! It seems to work! Yippee! Now I need to fasten the non-adjustable seat and then stretch the vinyl over the foam padding on the back part.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Somehow I didn't calculate right (I am not surprised) and didn't get enough vinyl to cover the back part. I probably had a number in my head when I purchased it of how tall the back would be and then when I actually got around to cutting the back part, didn't remember that number. Also, foam is expensive. Good thing these 12"X12" pieces about matched the width of the seat and back.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Here's the almost-finished product. I will get more vinyl at some point to cover up the very tip-top of the exposed white foam padding. I attached casters to the feet at the head of the bench so it's easy to roll around. Now all it needs is someone to go pump some iron!









No comments:
Post a Comment